Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tips 4 Natural and Relaxed Hair

It seems since Chris Rock released his documentary film, "Good Hair," a lot of African-American women have decided to go natural. To some it is a fashion statement and to others they are truly embracing their natural beauty because it is something they are doing for themselves and not for the fashion statement. Whatever the reason may be a female should know how to take care of her hair if it's natural or permed.

NATURAL
Just because your hair is natural that doesn't mean you don't have to do anything to it. A female should make sure she keeps her natural hair moisturized. I have seen females go days without putting anything on their hair because they believed they didn’t have to give it as much attention as relaxed hair. Truth be told, natural hair needs as much attention as relaxed/permed hair. Keeping your natural hair healthy and strong is about finding the right products that works for you. One should also limit the amount of heat used on the hair; heat can lead to damage hair. A heat protectant should be used when applying heat such as flat ironing or blow drying to the hair.

Natural Tips
  1. Comb hair from ends to the roots with a wide tooth comb. This will limit the breakage of hair.
  2. Keep your hair moisturized; use the adequate amount of moisturizer as needed for you hair to limit dryness and breakage.
  3. Condition your hair regularly
  4. Use a heat protectant when using heat products on hair 
  5. Find products that work best for your hair
Her Natural Story


Alyssa F.

 I've been natural for 3 years. I decided to go natural because I got really sick. The treatment that I was going through made my hair fall out so I just decided to cut it off.
Now, I only use products with Shea Butter in them. The line that I use is the olive oil line. I use a lot of lotions. I don't like to use grease because it makes your hair really heavy. Most times I wash my hair, put in leave in conditioner, and go.
I would recommend that people find hair products that focus on keeping moisture in the hair and scalp. Just because your hair is natural doesn't mean you don't have to do anything to it. Keep it moisturized with leave in conditioner. I use the Cantu conditioner which you can find in Wal-Mart.
Again, like I said before take care of your hair. People tend to neglect natural hair because they feel as if they don't need to do anything to it. You should wash it at least once a week and apply leave in conditioner. In the winter time find a protective style to put it in so that the harsh weather won't take away from your hair and cause it to break off.


RELAXED
When it comes to relaxed/permed hair, it needs as much attention as natural hair. There are females who perm their hair every month and there are some who perm their hair as needed. Statics says one should relax the hair every 6 to 8 weeks. However, I tend to relax my hair every 3 to 4 months which equals out to every 12 to 18 weeks. I wash and deep condition my hair every 2 weeks, spray it with a heat protectant, blow dry it out, and straighten it. I wrap my hair every night in a silk scarf. However, there are nights I go without wrapping it because my pillows are in silk pillow cases. Silk material limits the hair from breaking off. However, wrapping the hair limits damages on the hair and saves time from styling it every morning. Everyone's hair is different and requires different things as mentioned before.

Relaxed Tips
  1. Depending on your hair needs, relax it every 6 to 8 weeks.
  2. Shampoo the hair every 2 weeks or as needed.
  3. Use a heat protectant when using heat on your hair: blow dryer and flat iron
  4. Drink a lot of water and maintain a health life style (helps to produce healthy hair).
  5. Use a water based moisturizer
She Keeps it Relaxed

Ciera Y.

I have been using perms all since I can remember minus 8 months when I attempted to go natural, but I really just wanted to let me hair grow out!

I get perms because I think it is easier for me to maintain. Having gone natural, you have to go through a phase where you have to accept that your true length of your hair will never show. I like my hair being silky and being able to run my fingers through it.

I use cream of natural products, this line of products really help my hair stay healthy and conditioned. Plus it does not leave my hair greasy or feeling or looking brittle.

I think that people who get perms understand that all perms are not bad and do not damage your have. Having a perm yes can be chemically damaging, but if you wash your hair every two weeks and deep condition it, perm every 4-6 weeks, and have your ends clipped, you have nothing to worry about.



Helpful Links



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Categories

A open wound that never heals creates a heavy heart ABC Bake Cookies beach Beauty/Fashion blog quotes blogger blogging blogspot booking.com butter career CCU students Christmas Clemson University Coach Coach Inc Coach Team Coastal Carolina University college college life college women confidence Cookie Exchange country living creative writing Daily quote Daily Quotes determination determinations drama series educated education EF Tours eggs elements elements in life elements of doing it embracing enjoy life enjoy the scenery Entertainment Europe events faith fall fashion Fashion Finance Fitness Florida flour Food forever21boots forgiveness France fresh and original. future Getting Fit Grey's Anatomy Gym happiness have fun Health Health/Fitness healthy body healthy living healthy way of life historical places Holiday Holiday Cookies Holiday Treats hope Hotel Biba hotel stay idea inspiration inspirational inspirational quotes Just do it just smile kayak.com Kerry Washington Leah Lent letting go LGBT life live life live life out loud live live laugh live lov laugh live love laugh Live Love Life living in moment living in the moment Love make things happen management life march medical drama series mind over matter motivation Music My Favorites Myrtle Beach South new beginnings New Year no matter what no regrets old navy jeans open open up open your heart opportunity Paris parking picture picture quote picture quotes places Politics Private Practice quaint space Quala Qualashan qualatrice quote quotes random relationship Relationships retail roses same love sc Scandal screenwriting self help self love self motivation September Shonda Rhimes Smile snow Spain Spot Light step out on faith Stop giving up strength Stress success Summer 2012 television Thursday Thursday Thoughts timeless travel traveling True Life trust unique Vacation Video Weather West Palm Beach west palm beach Florida What we love about September women Women's Awareness Month work Workout

Copyright Text

Qualashan L. Hemingway, Qualatrice, is the owner of rights of all textual material posted on this blog.