Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Real Talk: Texting While Driving


Real Talk, texting while driving is a dangerous situation. People know the consequences of texting while operating an automobile. However, no one seems to take it seriously.
I myself was guilty of texting while driving at one point. When driving with my younger sister in the car one day, I attempted to text. She made a comment that I shouldn't text while driving because someone could get hurt. I put my phone away while she was in the car but, I continued to check my text messages, tweets, and facebook while driving a lone. One day while on my way to work, I was too busy looking at my phone when I drove out in front of a car at an intersection. I was not paying attention to all of the lanes on the high-way. I normally look both ways twice before crossing an intersection or turning onto a road. That day, I didn’t look twice. Instead I looked once at the road and then at my phone as I drove into oncoming traffic.
When finally looking up and looking to my left, I remember seeing a gray car coming at me holding their brakes. However, the car swerved into another lane just missing me as I quickly drove across into the medium. My nerves were shook as I sat in the medium for a couple of minutes when I realized the car who almost hit me was pulled over to the side of the road. I was afraid and attempted to get out my car to ask the other driver if she and everyone in her car were okay. However, the driver looked at me with a devastating angry look and drove off. It was luck and God that no one got hurt. After that day I make great effort to not respond to any texts or social network notifications while driving.

Many people have lost their lives because of distractions on the highway. I refuse to be the cause of someone losing their life or a loved one; I don’t want someone who was too busy texting and driving to be the reason for anyone’s death. I am taking an action to not text while driving; I believe everyone needs to do the same.



Interesting Facts:

·         Texting and driving has been the cause of numerous automobile accidents that claimed 16,141 lives between the years of 2001-2007 (Chester).
·         There are currently 30 states and the District of Columbia that has banned cell phones while driving.
·         “81 percent of the United States population admits to resorting to texting while driving a vehicle, in spite of being well versed with the various dangers of texting while driving” (Buzzle.com).
·         Approximately 28 percent of all crashes in 2008 were caused by drivers ages 18 to 29, who admitted to texting while driving according to Bob Kellar, author of, “Whatever You Do, Don’t Text and Drive.”
·         Driving statistics compiled in 2010 by the Pew Research Center revealed that 47 percent of adults admitted to texting while driving, compared to 34 percent of teenagers (Kellar).
·         In 2009 an Illinois state trooper killed two teenage girls while going at an estimated speed of 126mph while texting. Not only was this state trooper speeding and texting, but he had also sent an email out a couple of minutes before the accident.
With increasing texting and driving death rates, concerned citizens wonder how this situation can be kept under control. In addition to some states implementing laws on texting while driving, campaigns have been developed to encourage the non use of cell phones while driving. Oprah Winfrey promotes “No Phone Zone” and AT&T has collaborated with different companies to promote no texting and driving.


Video






Interesting Websites

Study: Texting while driving responsible for 16,000 deaths in 6 years

The Dangers of Texting While Driving


No Phone Zone

Texting While Driving?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Categories

A open wound that never heals creates a heavy heart ABC Bake Cookies beach Beauty/Fashion blog quotes blogger blogging blogspot booking.com butter career CCU students Christmas Clemson University Coach Coach Inc Coach Team Coastal Carolina University college college life college women confidence Cookie Exchange country living creative writing Daily quote Daily Quotes determination determinations drama series educated education EF Tours eggs elements elements in life elements of doing it embracing enjoy life enjoy the scenery Entertainment Europe events faith fall fashion Fashion Finance Fitness Florida flour Food forever21boots forgiveness France fresh and original. future Getting Fit Grey's Anatomy Gym happiness have fun Health Health/Fitness healthy body healthy living healthy way of life historical places Holiday Holiday Cookies Holiday Treats hope Hotel Biba hotel stay idea inspiration inspirational inspirational quotes Just do it just smile kayak.com Kerry Washington Leah Lent letting go LGBT life live life live life out loud live live laugh live lov laugh live love laugh Live Love Life living in moment living in the moment Love make things happen management life march medical drama series mind over matter motivation Music My Favorites Myrtle Beach South new beginnings New Year no matter what no regrets old navy jeans open open up open your heart opportunity Paris parking picture picture quote picture quotes places Politics Private Practice quaint space Quala Qualashan qualatrice quote quotes random relationship Relationships retail roses same love sc Scandal screenwriting self help self love self motivation September Shonda Rhimes Smile snow Spain Spot Light step out on faith Stop giving up strength Stress success Summer 2012 television Thursday Thursday Thoughts timeless travel traveling True Life trust unique Vacation Video Weather West Palm Beach west palm beach Florida What we love about September women Women's Awareness Month work Workout

Copyright Text

Qualashan L. Hemingway, Qualatrice, is the owner of rights of all textual material posted on this blog.